10.9.05

'Only the mountains can heal our souls'... My father wrote it on a photograph of some Himalaya scenery that was hanging in our living room. I have arrived in Huarazm, a village at 3000 meter, surrounded by mountains. And indeed, seeing mountains is always awe-inspiring but also soothing.
We got here after a 7 hour trip from Lima - very nice and comfortable bus, not expensive. I´m feeling a slight headache, probably because of the altitude, and Heather is lying on her bed, a bit dizzy. I right away felt great in this place. The plan is to find someone or some people to trek with - I guess i have found someone already, David, from England, who was on our bus. He plans to do the same treks as I. We have to get used to the altitude first of course, and would start on Sunday. The first hike would be four days. Dont know yet if I will carry my big backpack myself, or wether I´ll support the local economy and hire a burro with an arriero, or a donkey and driver.
Yesterday was a nice day in Lima. The cab dropped us off at the wrong museum. Entrance was a suprisingly high 8 dollars. Heather had to pay only half that, thanks to a long expired student card. I tried to convince the guy that I was a student of the erotic arts (there was an erotic art section in the museum) but he didn´t buy it.
That night we had dinner with volunteers from a local animal rights/vegetarian organisation. Very nice people. They paid for our food, a vegetarian version of ceviche, the national seafood dish. The best thing was that this was only the first dish and that it was unexpectedly followed by the main course. The kind of surprise me and my stomach love!
I´ll try to upload some pics to this blog tomorrow perhaps.

hasta pronto, amigos!

No comments: