19.9.05

Still in Huaraz.
Ok, the strike is ´fuerte´, as they say, and we can´t leave Huaraz today. So we will go tomorrow and hope we can get out then. Getting up at 4am. We have decided to join an organized group (without eating their food or using their tents) to be safer. Several people have been killed by bandits on this trail, and we figure that if we´re a group of ten, they won´t stop us so easily.
We´ve been shopping at the market yesterday and today for food. Here´s a (very dark) picture of what I´m taking, for a week. Apart from this, there´s also rice and pasta.

Something more about food, which remains a very important subject...

Yesterday I had lunch at a vegetarian restaurant. Big soup, meal, drink and salad for about 1 €. Some of the veg restaurants here serve meat too. I had picked the dish of the day, and hadn´t asked what it contained. I took a few bites from the meat substitute that was on the plate and it tasted and felt suspiciously like chicken. As the waitress passed by I asked ´no carne, right?´ She said ´si, carne´. At that moment I spit out what was in my mouth, but then she added ´Carne vegetal´. Phew.

I had dinner at the wonderful Cafe Andino again. Don´t know if I already talked about it, but it´s a wonderful interior, a library, a balcony with a view on the Andes... They only thing they have to eat, apart from pies, is big breakfasts, but they are available all day. So at 8pm I had a veggie breakfast, consisting of thea, fresh orange juice, a big bowl of fruit with muesli, three sauces, two slices of toast with bread, and a big dish of potatoes with vegetables and three big slabs of tofu - first time I saw tofu here. Wonderful. At 3 euro it was quite expensive for Peruvian standards.

On the street you can get big pieces of watermelon or pineapple for 0,15 euro. At lunch today we had a liter of juice for 0,60 euro. It was a filling meal in itself.

To give you an idea of how Huaraz is situated, here´s a picture. You can hardly see it, but it´s in the centre of the photo.

No comments: